Monday, November 26, 2007

O Christmas Tree
















I have wonderful childhood memories of setting up the Christmas tree. The stereo would be on playing all our favorites and we would have hot cider or hot cocoa or cookies. Sara and I would excitedly unpack all the ornaments while Dad sat on the floor painstakingly testing each bulb to see which had caused the string to fail. It seemed like forever until the lights were on and we could decorate the tree. We looked for the walnut shell ornament with the miniature nativity scene carved out of a miniscule piece of wood, and carefully examined the tree for the best place to nestle it where a light would shine on it like the star of Bethlehem. We carefully unwrapped the glass candy canes and angels. We gingerly handled the curled paper ornaments. And when we were done, we turned off the lights and just sat in the dark stillness and admired our work.

My kids look forward to this tradition as much as I did. They anticipate the event for days. A few things have changed though. I set up the tree and I do the lights.

Usually I unpack the tree, get ready to put the lights on, and the strings don't work. I have tried to do as Dad did, and sit for an hour replacing blubs while the kids jump around asking me how long before they can put ornaments on. But this year I had the novel idea of buying lights ahead of time in anticipation of their failure. So I did. I bought five boxes. I wouldn't run out of lights this year! Well, I didn't. All last year's light strings worked!

2 comments:

S said...

Can I have some of your new lights? On two of my big heavy duty new strings from last year, only half the set works! :P

s said...

Your house looks so awesome decorated for Christmas! This year our tree has pink and white lights.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails