Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the calm after the storm

Sorry I left you hanging there...if you don't know what I'm talking about, read the previous post.

On Saturday morning Robb went out to coffee with his brother. He called me on his way home. "I cleaned out my desk at TREAN." I guess after being married for 10 years, I've gotten pretty good at understanding my husband. I already knew he'd gone to Eden Prairie and done that.
I said, "I know."
He said, "Oh, did you talk to someone?"
"Nope. I just knew."

I can't say I responded well to this. In fact, we argued. Even yelled. That's not normal for us.

But we talked about it, and I understand his heart. Those words were a direct attack where he is most vulnerable. Really, that is any man's most vulnerable area: feeling respected. Once a word is spoken it cannot be erased, and if he went back to TREAN, no matter how hard he worked, Robb would always wonder if it was enough. No matter how many apologies. No matter how many compliments. The words were said.

So we are moving on. We still have PRIME, our promotions storage and shipping and rebate company. Robb is now free to focus on growing our business and he has his life back. He is returning to breakfasts, coffee, and lunches with friends. He may even start exercising! (I'm not holding my breath on that though!)

I don't pretend to understand why this happened. In the August 3rd reading for My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers writes, "We have no conception of what God is aiming at, and as we go on it gets more and more vague. God's aim looks like missing the mark because we are too short-sighted to see what He is aiming at. At the beginning of the Christian life we have our own ideas as to what God's purpose is -'I am meant to go here or there,' 'God has called me to do this special work'; and we go and do the thing, and still the big compelling of God remains. The work we do is of no account, it is so much scaffolding compared with the big compelling of God. "

The next day's devotional says, "The main thing about Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the atmosphere produced by that relationship."

Hmmm...I just peeked at today's reading. I'll have to post something on that later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails