Friday, August 28, 2009

Kitchen work

I'm in that funny time of year when I can't decide if I should be planning school or canning garden produce. Thankfully my garden isn't humongous, so I'm not completely overwhelmed, but still the urgency remains to preserve the food that my small plot grows. In my old fashioned farmhouse cellar, shelves are slowly filling with hamburger and bread and butter pickles, apple pie filling and applesauce. My freezer, also, receives weekly deposits of green beans, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes. It feels satisfying. Yet I know these productive kitchen days are nearing their end. Soon the canning jars on my kitchen table will be replaced with Language Arts, Math, Science and History books. Thankfully, I use curriculum that requires little planning, so I'm gonna can away!

Hired Help

No comments: