Thursday, September 24, 2009

An Esther Style Makeover

Recent homework for my current Bible Study, esther:It's Tough Being a Woman discussed beauty. Young, beautiful girls were chosen for King Xerxes harem, but evidently their young beauty wasn't enough. A full year of beauty treatments followed their royal abduction. The point is, beauty wasn't something to posses, it was something to be DONE.

Sound familiar? We're never quite done attaining beauty, are we? It's a never ending process. Hair to cut, color, wash, and style. Nails to file, paint. Fingers and toes! Skin to moisturize. Legs to shave. Every day. (Or not!) Eyebrows to pluck. (Just kidding beauty know-it-alls. I know the proper verb is TWEEZE) Eyelashes to curl. Makeup to apply. New clothes. New shoes. Soaps and creams and gels and sprays and deodorizers....you know what I'm talking about. Gosh, it's a lot of darn work! And a lot of pressure. And since not many of us are willing to give up even a brush-full of bronzer , how are we to escape self-absorption? Or avoid painful insecurity? I think you know. It's a HEART thing. Esther didn't rise from the likes of Persia's top model contestants to be queen solely because of her beauty. Those over her care were drawn to her inner beauty.

I wonder what Esther honestly thought of the beauty applications. I wonder if she judged them silly and pagan or if she enjoyed the pampering. I wonder if she remembered God's thoughts on beauty as she was subjected to each "treatment". I bet she did.

"Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart." 1 Sam. 16:7

Let us not be as Jesus called the Pharisees in Matt. 23:27: "... like white-washed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of bones..."

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment... Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."1 Peter 3:4

I submit to you a meditation for your personal beauty treatment.  As each product is applied, pray the corresponding prayer.

Cleanser: Lord, exfoliate my heart. Remove the deadness and hardness of my heart that is hindering your complete work in my life. "Create in me a pure heart, Oh, God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me." Psalm 51:10-12

Moisturizer: Lord, forgive my failures and soften my heart to do your will.

Day Solution: Lord protect me from evil today. Help me to stand up to temptation and remember that no temptation comes that is not common to mankind, and you will provide a way out of the temptation. 1 Co. 10:13

Foundation: Lord, I put on the shield of faith today. I believe you. I trust you. Ephesians 6:16

Lipstick Let the words of my mouth be acceptable to you today, Lord. Psalm 19:14

Eye color: Lord, let my eyes reflect the Spirit of Christ that lives in me. Let the light of your countenance shine through my eyes for your glory. Matthew 6:22, Luke 11:34

Fragrance: Lord, help me share the grace of your Son with someone today. "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in Christ's triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ." 2 Corinthians 2:15

May our inner beauty grow and our focus remain, always, on our King.

I designed this post in a printable card to post on your bathroom mirror or tuck in your make-up bag:

 





1 comment:

Michelle said...

You are one of those with inner beauty!