Tuesday, December 1, 2009

25 Days of Ornaments


I am excited to begin this new carnival and document the many special memories and people represented by the ornaments that hang on my tree each year. Many of my collection were gifts in my stocking as a child. Some I claimed when I moved out of my parents house. Numerous are handmade, each with a memory.

The above, you can correctly assume, is a picture ornament of my twin sister and I. I love the idea of creatively framing a picture of my own children each year for the tree. This year I witnessed the joyous exclamations of my children hanging ornaments of themselves. "Look Megan! It's you and me! We were so little and cute!" "This one is from 2001. I was only two years old then!"

Yes, decorating the tree is a hectic endeavor with children. They step on the lights as I try to determine which strings still work. They bicker over who hangs what and scold each other on proper hanging methods.  I attempt to leave the tree as they have trimmed it, but my tendency is to forever be rearranging as needed.

I could easily envy the perfect tree with each ornament hung just so, gold beads glimmering with twinkling light. Instead I cherish my eclectic country ornament collection. For me, it is a glorious flurry of memories, a collage containing glimpses of family history, friends and experiences. When the chore is complete, the bins returned to the basement, each stray metal ornament hanger retrieved from the carpet, and artificial pine needles vacuumed, I turn off the lights, plug the tree in, grab a cup of hot cocoa and savor the memories, basking in Christmas spirit.

Click on the button on the right sidebar to learn more about how this carnival got started, or to join in the fun click here!

3 comments:

MamaBear said...

I like to use photo frames too - especially those first couple of years. Both my kids have ornaments with pictures of them as baby Jesus in our church's living nativity.

Three cheers for the country christmas tree!!!

Ethan, Zach, and Emma's Mom said...

I have an ornament on my tree with my kindergarten picture on it--the kids really got a kick out of that! It's fun to look back on past years. That's why I always use the same ornaments every year!

Blessedw5mom said...

Oh! Such a cute ornament!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails