Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Crackle Painted Craft Stick Sled Ornament

I'm not sure where I originally found the pattern for this sled, but I looked for a pattern online and couldn't find this particular one. There are other patterns, but this is still my favorite. One year I made about thirty of these. No doubt that was the year I got bursitis! I hosted a Make Your Own Christmas Present party and a bunch of ladies came over and we crafted these together. Fun memories. The most fun memory, though, is what we did after the party. We decided to be sneaky Christmas elves and prank our pastor and my husband, who worked for the church at the time, by setting up a Christmas tree in their office. We went to my friend's house, rescued an unused tree in her basement, dragged it to the office and hung my huge homemade ornament collection. It was lovely. Only Jon or Robb can tell you if they were pleased...

To make a sled you will need 6 popsicle sticks. Cut two of them (I just used a wire cutting pliers)as follows:







Assemble the top with hot glue and then attach the two runners to the cross pieces.

I painted most of my sleds all gold, then used crackle compound and painted the tops either red or green.

I hot glued little bits of greenery and berries on the body of the sled or personalized them with a gold pen for gifts.

6 comments:

sara said...

Hey, wasn't the year you had bursitis the year you had Mads? I remember you having a hard time picking her up...

Kristina Joy said...

Yes, that was the year.

Kellie B. said...

Hey I remember that party. I missed it. :( Thanks for sharing the pattern. I have a huge box of sticks. Maybe I'll make some of these this year.

Helga said...

These ornaments that you are sharing are great!!! Thanks for sharing and showing us how to make them. I think my boys would like making the sled!

Colleen said...

Thanks for the instructions. I may just have to try this out.

Anonymous said...

Rather nice place you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Hilary Benedict

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails