Friday, December 11, 2009

Crocheted Snowflake


 Same song, 11th verse. Another homemade ornament! Check out more here on MamaBears blog .

One year, with my Martha Stewart Living magazine close at hand, I taught myself to crochet. I have a love for traditional, old-fashioned ornaments, and these remind me of the collection my grandmother tatted. Tatting is a soon to be lost art, so I should really teach myself that skill too. Someday.....

My crocheting skills have grown since these little projects, but I never follow a pattern for the bigger stuff. Those patterns look like a bunch of gibberish, and once you know a few stitches, it's not difficult to put a blanket together. Well, OK, not difficult for me!  ;)

Here is good ole Martha's tutorial for ya. If you find even that too difficult, no doubt with a bit of looking you can find a whole box of discarded china-made snowflakes at a garage sale for $1.00. That's what I did. That's right. After making a few of my own snowflakes and conquering the skill, I decided it's a much better investment of time to buy someone else's castoffs. Albeit less meaningful.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for pointing out your superior crocheting aptitude ;-)

Jenilee said...

I have an angel on my tree that would match that snowflake pefectly! :) I wish I could make one myself... I might have to take a look at that tutorial!

Colleen said...

Wow, I'm so impressed that you made these. I have a few "made in china" ones on my tree, but it's so much cooler to be able to say that you made it yourself.

❦TattingChic said...

Your crocheted snowflake is lovely! Oh, I thought I saw tatting mentioned! How cool is that? I ♥ tatting! In fact, I know a lot of tatters online and I think it'd be great if you got to know them, too! You might even find out that tatting is indeed NOT a lost art but is alive and well and thriving! Many people all over the planet do it! Come on over to my tatting blog and see for yourself! I've got a ton of tatting blog links on my right sidebar along with links to lists of tatting links and tatting merchant links! Come on over and visit for awhile! :)
(((Hugs)))!
~TattingChic ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails