Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dreams and Hope Chests and a Little Bear


It's day two of the 25 days of Christmas Ornaments!

Molly gave me this ornament when I was 11 years old. We met at school in fourth grade and became fast friends. The next year her family began homeschooling. My sister and I were so enthralled with the idea of being able to stay at home and learn, that we asked if we could homeschool too! Mom and Dad considered it prayerfully and soon, Molly and my sister and I attended the same homeschool support group. Of course, we didn't really need the support group. We had each other.

Those were letter-writing days. We filled pages. Sometimes dad let us use his metro phone line that was reserved for medical calls. We would talk for an hour at least!  We had sleepovers, and Molly introduced us to Anne of Green Gables. We talked of finding young men as dashing as Gilbert Blythe. We dreamed of what our grown-up lives would be like.

Now we are grown up. We have husbands and children and homes to hold our hope chest treasures. Some things are as we dreamed them and some things are not. Life is like that. But if we could go back and dream again, I'm pretty sure we'd all dream our lives just as they are.




3 comments:

Jenney said...

This is a very cool post. Thank you for sharing, what a great memory.

Ethan, Zach, and Emma's Mom said...

Isn't it amazing to look back with life long friends?

Blessedw5mom said...

Oh! I can remember the days of Anne of Green Gabels! Itsn't it wonderful how our ornaments bring memories flooding back.