Monday, December 7, 2009

I Make Stuff

 I wish I remembered more about this pillow. Was it from pioneer girls? A kit from mom? I know I made it when I was pretty young and it was one of many sewing projects over the years. It brings back memories of hours and hours spent in my parents downstairs laundry room sewing, cutting, and stitching. I loved the peace and quiet and the thrill of a completed project. I especially liked the praise. "You MADE that? YOURSELF?" Yes, I did. Thank you very much.

I did not spend time in front of the TV or in any kind of organized sport growing up. I don't know much about movies from the late 70's or 80's, nor do I recognize characters from popular TV shows. I'm not great at sports and I abhor sweating.  Not me. 'Cause I was busy making stuff.

I made clothes for me and clothes for my sisters and clothes for my barbie. I made stuffed bears and pillows and stitched wall hangings. I dried flowers, used petal porcelain, painted. I gardened and arranged cut flowers. I decorated cakes and quilted. I tried anything and everything.

Now, things are a bit different. I can tell you a bit more about movies and TV shows. I've even been known to work out once or twice. Hobbies have changed as craft fads come and go. My project pace has slowed. I have other things to do. Like cleaning. And laundry. But I still prefer to make stuff.





Now head on over the river and through the woods to MamaBear's blog and check out other fun ornaments.




2 comments:

Blessedw5mom said...

I so enjoy reading your entries! And you know, one of these days we need to get together for a playdate! I'll email you about that!

Laura said...

Haha! So true. I still love making stuff, I just make different kinds of stuff than you. Paper rather than fabric was my favored medium growing up, but I still did my share of sewing. I recently was having fun looking at the stuffed bunnies Sara made for me and the one I made myself and remembering the fun Andrea and I had with them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails