Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Well, Christmas is over. Another year approaches. How did you fare? We weathered a Christmas eve snowstorm at my parents house for the first ever holiday sleepover since my sister got married a couple years ago. Fun! We ate lots of treats, lefse included, and I have a waistline to prove it! So why in the world am I posting a recipe for more cookies? Because is is darn freezing here, and I'm a little bored and if I bake the kitchen will warm up. So there. Plus, I'm Norwegian and I'm pretty sure that a sweet tooth is a requirement to claim that heritage. Waistline is of no consequence, I guess.

So this is the recipe my mom tweaked to make it more healthy. I didn't even know chocolate chip cookies weren't supposed to have oats in them until I moved out of the house. Neither did I know that we always over baked them! Now I know you take them out BEFORE they're brown so they stay soft and chewy!
Who knew? Except everyone else, that is.....

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1 T vanilla
4 c quick oats, measured before ground (grind in food processor until powdery)
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c white flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips.

350 F 10-15 minutes

There. Now you can eat without guilt. 'Cause oats are good for you and so is dark chocolate! (That's how we rationalize it anyway....)

4 comments:

Blessedw5mom said...

MMM ....mmmm... I think we'll be trying these soon!

necesitojamon said...

And this is how we always rationalized cookies for breakfast. Yum!

Kristina Joy said...

Guilty grin. For breakfast? Yes, just this morning.

Erin said...

Those sound amazing! I love the justification, too!