Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sweet Cupcakes

Cupcake '10

A blogger retreat.




And I went, you ask?

Whatever for? you ask?

Good question!

As my facebook friends know by their newsfeed being clogged with links to my posts, and as my family members know because they religiously read my scribbles, I've been blogging for a couple years. I initially started with the purpose of sharing with family the silly things the kids did, the stupid things I forgot because I'm just that forgetful. I blogged to record our family stories. Because it's a better filing system than anything at my house. It morphed from there. I only recently made my blog public.

Recently, I met Carrie. Kinda through her blog. Kinda not. We can't make up our minds. Now I work with her.

We work with bloggers to turn all their hard work into books. Hard copies to display on a coffee table. Or to give as gifts to grandparents. Or a husband who needs something tangible from those hours his wife spent in front of a screen when she should have been doing the dishes.

Anyway, Carrie asked me to go to Cupcake '10 with her and I said sure! She was acquainted with some of the blog authors planning the get together, and wanted a traveling buddy. We had a bit of finagling to do with my sister's first baby due the week it was planned (She delivered a week early. Thanks sis!), and then Carrie had a complication the first day of the event. But we made it and am I ever glad!

In case you didn't notice, *wink* I'm not a big name blogger. I'm not even a little name blogger. More of a no name blogger. I went to this blogger retreat to grow my friendship with Carrie. And I went to spend time with women who happen to blog, most of them completely new to me.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I figured it would kinda be like a church ladies retreat. I was right!

Except we had wine!





Cupcake Wine!

I met wonderful ladies, who are so much more than their blogs. Each had a story to tell. Their authenticity and vulnerability were beautiful. Each seemed to struggle with their own feelings about blogging. Each added flare and texture and spice and style to the experience.



So, thank you, ladies! Thank you for being you. For sharing yourselves with the world and whoever wants to find you. For clicking publish when you were most afraid and letting your words reach out and touch others. For caring more about each other than the status of their blog.

Now as I  read your posts, I will hear your voices and understand a bit more, the depth of who you really are.

Photo credits: The multi-talented Carrie

10 comments:

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I am so glad you were there!

Steph

H F W said...

It was really wonderful to meet you; and what a wonderful reason to go-- to grow a good frienship into great. :)

MamaBear said...

I got goosebumps reading this K! I heart you!

Stephanie said...

So glad you decided to come - you are a real sweetheart and it was a JOY getting to know you!

Heather of the EO said...

It was a pleasure to cry in front of you more than once :)

All the glitches worked themselves out in the end, huh? We were all supposed to be there. It was just plain perfect. (except for how you had to freeze at night...not that)

Boy Crazy said...

I'm so glad to have met you. I love reading everyone's take on things. I am still processing my thoughts, but everyone hits on a little something that I feel.

Glad you came. :)

-elizabeth

Maggie, dammit said...

So sweet! I wish I'd had more time to look at the beautiful books the two of you brought. Saw you had one out as I was leaving, it looked gorgeous. Love this group photo, too.

It was so nice to meet you!

Tara said...

It was wonderful to meet you and your magnets were so perfect, thank you:)

Haley said...

You are the sweetest thing! I'm am SO glad I got to meet you!

I love that you little magnets say Joy..because you just radiate it!

Seriously...you are just a pleasure to know. :-)

Erin said...

Everytime I look at my magnet on the fridge, I smile and think of your sweet voice. Such a pleasure!