Saturday, January 30, 2010

Easy as Pie

Easy Pot Pie

1 c diced turkey, chicken or leftover beef roast
1 c peas
1 c chopped carrots
(I always keep a bag of mixed peas and carrots in the freezer for this recipe)
1 c diced potatoes (or frozen hash browns)
1 can cream of chicken soup (Cream of mushroom if using beef)
1/4 c milk
generous sprinkle of pepper
generous sprinkle of onion powder

1 homemade pie crust, unbaked

(Of course, I realize, this pie is not really easy unless you use a store-bought crust,
but I prefer the taste of my homemade crust. :)

Crust recipe:
2c flour
1 t salt
2/3 c Crisco shortening, cut in
add 5-6 T cold water a little at a time

Bake 1 hour at 350 F


I'm not really a recipe girl, but wrote this out for you who like to follow directions. I take that back. I love directions. (I have put together every piece of furniture in our house that required assembly.) But I love flexibility too! I throw in whatever I happen to have (within reason, of course). For example, when I make a pot roast with carrots and potatoes in the crock pot and have a few leftovers, those get chopped up and made into pot pie. You could add beans, but I prefer not. Also, leftover gravy can be stirred in with the soup. 

Yum!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh deliciousness! Maybe I could make a soup and biscuits in the crockpot to make it a little easier on my life with two babies ;)

Kristina Joy said...

Yep! I do that too-- When I have too much filling for a pot pie, or I'm don't have time to roll out a crust, I use it for Chicken a la King over biscuits.

Chrissy said...

Yummy! I'll have to try this! :o)