Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Just Lunch?

The table is a mess. Paper plates and hot dogs. Ketchup smears from messy children finger painting from the globs that fell from dog and bun.

"I declare you are the messiest children I know."

Madison grins, "Or the messiest children you've had." As in mothered, I suppose.

But there in that mess sits a seeming anomaly.



A teacup or two. English china. Gold rimmed. Filled with tea and sugar and milk. The English way. Or at least our attempt at the English way.

They are not "special teacups," though we call them that. Really, I found them at a garage sale for a dollar apiece. Each child has their own for everyday tea parties.

This is not high tea. Just lunch. With tea filled china cups.

These moments will be remembered, I am sure. Everyday tea parties where the table was messy and the English accents were too. They need not be perfect moments. But the moment must happen to be remembered. Because lunch, even a hot dog lunch, is more than just lunch when tea is served.

This post is a part of  Tuesdays Unwrapped at Chatting at the Sky.

5 comments:

Laura said...

How cool is that, what a fun spin on a messy lunch! :)

emily said...

I. Love. This. Post. And the photo wraps the whole thing up with a bow. Thank you for sharing it.

Meg said...

what a fun! High tea with hotdogs. God shows up at the most wonderful times, doesn't he?

Corinne said...

That is so fun - what a lovely idea to make an ordinary day extra special :)

happygal said...

I love this post so much! It just made me smile. Thanks!