Monday, January 4, 2010

Tomato Soup Fiasco

My freezer if full of frozen summer produce, my old fashioned pantry lined with jars. And there it sits. My husband still buys canned tomatoes for his taco soup and I forget I made pickles and applesauce and fruit salsa. The freezer is clogged with zucchini from this year and last year and green beans galore. I'm not sure my family even appreciates beans, unless slathered in cream soup and topped with fried onions.

So yesterday I decided to used some of the overabundance. I'd heard a friend rave about homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese, and though that flavor of soup is not my favorite, I gave it a try. Frozen tomatoes went in the pot with an onion and carrot and garlic and basil. It simmered and simmered down. Smelled good. I had hope.

I poured the boiling, chunky liquid into my blender. I knew this was dangerous, but I started slow. It gurgled slowly out the top. I spooned a good cup off the top to allow room for fierce blenderizing. I turned it on.

Who was it that was so careful, calculating her blender approach only to be startled by tomato puree sprayed all over an entire corner of the kitchen? Ummm, that certainly could not be me. But it was me and there I stood covered in tomato soup. Also covered was the wall, the cupboard, the stove, the recipe box, the canisters, the mixer, and the grill that was awaiting grilled cheese.

I wiped up. The counter. Not me. My clothes could wait. Supper could not. I finished the soup, timidly blending, not as confidently as before. The sandwiches were made after the fried soup was wiped off the griddle, and the kids came to eat. They eyed the soup.



"Who wants to try my new soup?" I ask.

"Not me," they all reply.



To read more ridiculousness click here:




.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh hilariousness! Hope you got your clothes cleaned up too...tomato stains are awful! Was the soup good?

The Unkept Cook said...

LOL! No pics? Did the kids think you'd wiped the soup off the walls and into their bowls? And I love tomato soup--I would totolly have eaten it!

Jarka said...

I love love love tomato soup - but we probably have a different recipe, because we add sugar in ours...yumm yumm...
hillarious story :)

Laura said...

Sounds like something Mom's done before... :)

Kristina Joy said...

Yep, soup was good- and did have sweetener in it....actually the recipe called for Stevia.

I know- no pics. Sorry! I thought of it, but I'd already cleaned half of it up...Your imagination (or personal experience) will have to do!

Corinne said...

This is so something I would have done :)
Yay for a good tomato soup!

Alyssa said...

So the life of a mom! So how was it? It looks delicious! Grilled cheese and (canned) tomato soup (with fresh basil) is one of my faves but I've never HOME made my tomato soup!

Susan said...

it happens to the best of us :)

i would eat it. it looks yummy!