Thursday, February 11, 2010

All in My Line of Work

Look around my house, and there’s plenty of work to be done. I’ve heard some assume that since I am a stay-at-home-mom and we home-school, there should be no problem keeping an orderly home. I have all day, after all, right?

Wrong.



I mean, yes, I have all day between everything else that needs to be done, but my kids never leave, so neither does their mess-making ability. Have you ever noticed, friends whose kids attend school, your house is messier during Christmas vacation when your kids are home from school? Yep. My life. It only makes sense that if you all eat at home for every meal, there will be more dishes.


Dishes aside, here's my job of first priority...


Schoolbooks and pencils, both colored and unleaded, and papers and scissors and glue sticks and notebooks have taken hostage my lovely craigslist dining room table. All that stuff represents work. Not just naming a place for it all to belong, but teaching and tutoring and nagging and urging.

I am my kids’ educator and that responsibility often overwhelms me! I love the stage we are entering though. They love to listen to me read out loud. We begin each day with a Bible story, then American history, and often, accounts of great Christian heroes.

During this reading time, my children like to snuggle and occasionally enjoy making forts out of our living room furniture, which means blankets and sleeping bags draped over everything. Fun is always followed by work. Have you noticed? Piles of blankets and cushions heavier than they can carry must be hauled up the stairs. And folded. This is my job. For now.

 

We are working on the chores thing. Child slave labor is a beautiful thing. :)
And then, of course, there’s more folding after the use of these.


I have to say though, I love my stacked Maytags on the same level as the bedrooms. No hauling laundry up or down stairs. What a treat after living for seven years where the washer was in my dark yucky basement and I carried everything up one flight of stairs, squeezing the basket through the overstocked pantry, and then up another flight. Try doing that pregnant. And my husband wonders why I never did laundry!

Anyway, here’s my final job. OK, not really. Just my final picture.


You like my double monitor? My husband has the best technology castoffs! And they are indispensable for my line of work.

I’ve been working for Carrie for a bit now designing blog books. So. Fun. I especially enjoy our weekly meetings at the local coffee shop!

Really, I think every mom needs a hobby or a job where every so often she has the satisfaction of a finished product. Something about which she can say, THIS IS DONE.

Because every mom knows that the work of  mothering is never done.

Now, off to do those dishes!

Thanks for the You capture challenges, Beth, at I Should be Folding Laundry.  I never would have taken a picture of my dirty dishes if it weren't for you!


Photobucket

8 comments:

Alyssa said...

what a fun post and one I think most of us SAHM can relate too! I don't even home school (kids are too young) but still my house is always a mess and there is always laundry to do. Oh well, at least my children feel loved!

Corinne said...

I love the honest shot of the dishes in the sink!
And I have to tell you - when my husband and I were first dating, we worked at the same company... I'd walk by his cubicle and think to myself "man, I'm dating the geekiest, but smartest guy in the company, he has TWO monitors!" :) Still makes me smile.... and only NOW that I spend so much time on the computer at home can I see the benefit of having two monitors ;)

Heather of the EO said...

Amen, sister! NEVER DONE. I really don't like NEVER DONE. I like done. I'm glad you have your work with Carrie, with the added bonus of coffee shop meet-ups.

Great shots! :)

sdwaard said...

Glad to see other people have dishes in the sink too! I agree with Alyssa, I think that messy houses and laundry are just a part of life with kids around. Whenever I actually have time to get picked up, there's a little toddler/preschool tornado right behind me messing everything up again. Wouldn't trade it for the world though.

Totally envious of your dual monitors! That would be wonderful for genealogy as well.

Liz said...

So glad you love the laundry on the bedroom level :-)

Valerie said...

I really like your pics! I also read your about me and I like your honesty about your faith. It's pretty cool.

Amy said...

I'm trying to figure out the secret message you seem to be sending with your different font sizes.

Here's what I've come up with:

Home-school all day wrong all day never leave more dishes schoolbooks tutoring listens snuggle folded beautiful wonders final castoffs coffee satisfaction this is done never

Melissa said...

You are very blessed to have the job you do! And it looks like you are quite the amazing worker!