Monday, May 10, 2010

The Doll I'll Never Admit is Better, Pt. 3-ish

Remember this? When I went on and on about a silly doll? And then that very same month when I made a  promise to my daughter and made plans to break my own rule again?

The time finally came, the stars aligned, or whatever, Madison's finger dried out, and my sister and her little one packed into our filthy van (because I'm pretty sure I heard Victoria beg to join all the girls,) and our vehicle headed in the direction of the big city. Or at least the biggest Mall in America.

The girls had talked about which doll Madison would choose. Megan had picked one that looked like her. Would Madison decide on Julie or Kit?



We arrived at little girl heaven. Madison flitted like a bee from display to display and after much scrutiny, picked Molly.

What?

Molly?

That' not what we talked about! She doesn't look anything like Molly! At this revelation and change in plans, I did not resort to meddling and manipulation. Rather, I lovingly encouraged and guided Madison to make a better choice. A cuter choice. A different choice.

Or not.

What had made her change her mind? If it was the glasses, could we buy a pair for, say, Kit?

"No." Said she, with confidence, and not a little defiant shake of the head.

If it was the fact that we already had the Molly movie, would buying the Kit movie change her mind?

"No." Again. Same stubborn shake of head.

"Nothing you say can make me change my mind. I've made up my mind. Now, let's go buy it already, mom."

I look at my sister. We roll our eyes. Do we let her make this foolish, fashion-less choice, on this last minute whim?

I envision a moment in the near future when she realizes Molly's wardrobe is not quite as cute as another's. Do I risk that amount of money, with the possibility of the doll being scorned and tossed aside later?

I reluctantly follow a Molly toting Madison to the check out line.

"Oh, look!" I see a display of accessories, conveniently displayed for last-minute buyer whims.

"Purple glasses!"

"Madison, if you get Kit, I'll buy these glasses for you, and they will even match her outfit! They're so cute!"

She checks them out.

"OK!" she agrees cheerfully.

And off she trots with Megan to exchange the box holding Molly for a box with Kit.

Whew. That was close.

Am I sorry I manipulated and bribed my daughter to buy what I esteemed to be the cuter doll?
Nope, not at all. Not me!

With relief, we all went to lunch at the American Girl Bistro and everyone lived happily ever after.


We borrowed a friend for Victoria, but she wasn't interested.


(And, in the end, Madison picked the brown glasses, 
not the purple, and I didn't even try to change her mind.)
 
The end.