Friday, May 28, 2010

Filed Under Grace - May

Prayer is conversation with God.

Sometimes my prayers are pleas for an answer or a result or a change. Sometimes they are just simple thoughts toward Him, not even fully formed, just lingering there in my brain. Today's answer was to one of the latter types of prayers.

As you may have read, Madison earned herself an American Girl doll. With glasses.


She'd not even had her doll a week when I caught her taking it outside. I scolded her, cautioned her that Kit would get dirty, but she stubbornly assured me she would be careful.

That evening, she realized that Kit's glasses were missing. I was mad. She was sad. We knew they were outside, lost in the expanse of grass that makes up our 10 acres of yard. It was hopeless they would ever be found.

To make matters worse, the next day it rained. We didn't try looking, even close to the house. The rain continued for 3 days.

Now, I know these are just doll accessories. But, remember,  a fascination with doll glasses was one of the key things that caused Madison's in-the-store change of mind, and my offer to buy Kit glasses convinced her to stick with her original choice. She could buy a replacement with her own money, but it would be weeks before we made our way that direction again. It's such a small thing, but the doll is special and there was a definite sense of loss.

Finally, the sun came out, and on a whim, I decided to check for the glasses. I headed out to the spot she had been when I warned her to take her doll inside, and began walking slowly, scanning the yard. I thought to the Lord, "I know this is a silly, stupid thing, and maybe she just needs to learn her lesson, but it sure would be nice if I just walked straight to those glasses."

I continued for a few paces, and what do you know, there they were, right in front of me, nestled in the grass!

I raced to the house, where Madison was, told her I'd asked Jesus to help me find Kit's glasses and that He had! She was pretty amazed, and I'm sure she'll never forget that God cares about the little stuff!

She has not taken Kit outside since. Smart girl!


Do you have a big or a little answered prayer? I'd love for you to share it here! Join me as I endeavor to document, and as a result, remember, times of answered prayer.

To read the rules on how to participate, please click the button. I'll have a Linky up and running for the weekend.

 
I'll make a list of God's gracious dealings, 
all the things God has done that need praising,
All the generous bounties of God…
— Compassion lavished, love extravagant…

Isaiah 63:7-8
The Message


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails