Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Summer In a Skirt


Friends are coming.

I scurry around the kitchen in my Sunday skirt, the one I picked up yesterday at Goodwill.  I never bothered to change after service, so I should have an apron on, or something. But I don't and I like the skirt. So it stays on and I don't cover it up.

I dump the breadstick dough from the breadmaker onto the cookie sheet, the recipe with a bit of whole wheat flour. We are trying to be healthy here, you know. I smooth, and pull and stretch it out till it stays and fills the pan.

Bowls begin filling as I chop chop cukes from my own patch of earth out my kitchen window, right by the apple tree pair. I need a few more tomatoes, so, basket in hand,  I slip on my sandals and flip flop my way toward the garden, Sunday skirt and all.

Wearing it makes me happy. Wearing it in my garden makes me smile.

I pick a handful, just the beginning of that harvest, then snoop around the broccoli and grab a handful of zucchini. More zucchini. There are beans too, calling for my attention, but they will have to wait. My recipe and bread crust need me first.

Inside I go, barefooted in the kitchen, cooking in a skirt.

I attach some romance to yesteryear, and the days of buggies and bonnets and beards,
yet in the summer,
in the garden,
in a skirt,
life right now feels simple and pretty and good.

Sharing this today at Tuesday's Unwrapped. Thanks, Emily, for the weekly reminder to unwrap moments of time and see the blessing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails