Monday, July 12, 2010

Zucchini Bruschetta

I'm not supposed to tell you, but my husband is on a diet.

Ok, he would correct me and have me say that he is not on a diet, he is changing the way he eats. And boy is he ever. He's lost ten pounds in one week!

It's a good thing I planted zucchini and tomatoes, because he is loving this recipe. I originally created it last summer when I tried the Flat Belly Diet. Which I loved. I eventually got lazy though, and gave in to the majority, as I was the only one wanting to eat healthy in the family. And if you've ever tried dieting alone, you know that consistently needing to cook something separate for yourself can kill any amount of determination.

The below recipe is a single serving of 395 calories, fitting nicely into the whole four-meals-@-400-calories, each containing a MUFA plan. (Monounsaturated fatty acid. Which happens to be yummy things like olive oil, dark chocolate, olives, nuts and avacado) Anywho, while my husband follows his program, I am following this one again, albeit loosely. And I have lost 5 lbs. Yay! Go team skinny!

Without further ado, I present:

Zucchini Bruschetta

~1/2 c diced zucchini
~1 T olive oil
~2 T  fresh basil
~1 clove garlic, minced
~1 c diced tomatoes

~1 round sandwich skinny bread thing (Have you seen these? They look like squished buns. I buy the multi-grain and they are 100 calories each.) Or, if you're not counting calories, use whatever bread you like.
 ~salt, pepper, to taste
~A sprinkle of Parmesan and a few fingers full of Mozzarella cheese

First saute the zucchini, garlic and basil in the olive oil over medium heat until the zucchini is tender crisp, then add tomatoes and heat for a few more minutes. (Don't let the tomatoes get mushy.) When it's done it should look like this:


Spread on a toasted skinny bun, sprinkle with parmesan, salt, pepper and mozzarella and broil on low until the cheese melts (just a few minutes). It should look something like this:


 As Rachel Ray would say, Yumm-O!