Thursday, August 12, 2010

Late Night Thoughts

I'm up late. Probably from my first Pepsi in a month. Or maybe it was the mocha. Either way, I lay in bed, my mind a muddle of the day, and worry of things like my children going to bed without brushing their teeth, and what kind of mother am I, and my brain downloading. A friend said once her mind is like a computer at night. Each window needs to be closed, each file saved before shutting down. So here I am, jotting down some thoughts to be saved.

I visited my favorite coffee shop today. My little sister's friend took my order with her ever present big smile and I almost forgot to pay. She told me she wanted to be like me when she has a family and a house and all that. Crafty and homemaker-y and creative. Growing things and making things.



My mind immediately began arguing with her and listing all the reasons why she should not adopt me as her ideal. She has no idea how I guilt myself for every little failure. I try to give myself credit for the rights and not dwell on the wrongs, but sometimes they are just there, staring me in the face. My currently messy house. My kids parked in front of the TV. The buckets of produce yet to be canned. My weedy garden. All my good intentions that just never quite get done.

But instead of arguing, I smiled and said thank you. I want to be more gracious instead of self deprecating. Accepting a compliment takes a strange sort of humility, I think. Then I added that I hoped I could live up to her esteem.

There are so many things I desire to do well. Sewing. Friendships. Gardening. Women's Bible Study. Homeschooling. Writing and blogging.  Parenting. Church. Photography. Maintaining an organized home. Dating my husband. Healthy eating. Frugal living. The list goes on and on.

I strive to maintain an abundance of interests, and fall short. I must remind myself that I can't serve two masters, let alone three or four or five.

I can serve One. 

Priorities become more straightforward, my mind less scattered, when all is done for One.

When my heart's motivation and devotion is singular, I can plunge my fingers into many things, while still serving only One.

All things can be done as unto Him.


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,"
Colossians 3:23-24

Do you have a Bigger Picture Moment to share? Join us each week as we endeavor to open our heart lenses for the Bigger Picture.

No comments: