Friday, October 22, 2010

Get Ready for Saturday Breakfast - Homemade Doughnut Holes


Buttermilk Doughnut Holes


1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c buttermilk, plus 2 T (I used 1 1/2 c milk plus 2 T lemon juice to sour it)
3 eggs, beaten
2 T shortening, melted
1 t vanilla
1 t soda
1 1/2 t salt
3 t baking powder
1 t nutmeg
4 1/2 c flour

Add sugar to buttermilk and let stand 1/2 hour. Add beaten eggs, shortening, and vanilla. Sift remaining ingredients together.

I recommend refrigerating the dough overnight. When I first tried the recipe I didn't expect the dough to be so sticky and runny, and I do not have a doughnut maker, so my methods turned out creepy monster doughnuts - little balls with pointy spines. I do not prefer to eat food that looks like a ancient weapon or spiked ball so I was more than happy that the refrigerated dough was much firmer and decreased the number of burnt points!

This dough stores well. I plan to keep this dough in my fridge for a quick and easy (and fun!) breakfast.

Heat oil, a few inches deep in a pot, over a medium heat stove. To guage when the oil has reached optimal temperature, I insert a  wet wooden spoon handle. The end of the spoon should form active, lively bubbles.

I used a cookie scoop to drop in the dough, but if you have a doughnut maker, that is super! Fry until golden brown, toss in a cinnamon and sugar mixture. 

Yum!

2 comments:

Terresaw said...

Yum! Never thought to make donut holes at home, now I think it's possible! :)

Carrie Cooper said...

Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

Hi! Thank you for commenting on my BlogFrog forum post. Now Ive found your awesome blog! I LOVE homemade donuts. My mom used to make those when i was a kid--thats probably the last time ive had them too. Yummy. I can still taste them :) Im a new follower and look forward to getting to know you through our blogs. Have a great week! Carrie