Monday, October 18, 2010

Jumping

"I stood at my dishwasher and cried because I just want to be able to do simple tasks alone without my children around bickering." my homeschooling friend admitted. "My husband told me I should stop using public school as a threat, but it's the only threat I've got."

I understood. Sometimes this homeschooling life drives me to the edge of who I thought I was. I sob into my pillow regretting who I've become and how I've failed.  It's all too much and I just want to jump. And I remember what all moms used to say.

If your friend told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

Of course not, we all answered.

But what if that friend was Jesus?

What if what he asks you leads you to the edge and then He says jump.

Jump from doing this thing on your own and in your own strength. Jump from your idealistic ideas of what your life would be. Jump from thinking it's all up to you. Jump.

And He'll catch you.

Because " underneath are the everlasting arms."

Today I jump into gratefulness, the pursuit of joy, and join One Thousand Gifts. Endless thankfulness can be found in the midst of disappointment, regret, insecurity or any circumstance that threatens to rob joy.

"Consider it pure joy,  whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. And perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." 

Today, I give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God.  Like Aaron and Hur and Moses at Rephidim, the battle is won when our hands are lifted.

1.  children playing outside at dusk
2.   stories around a fire
3.   fall color
4.   grandparents' visit



5.   photo shoot in leaves
6.   the guys going out to breakfast
7.   the girls going out to lunch
8.   new tools even if they're not mine
9.   peppermint mocha creamer
10.  bare trees
11.   harvesting combines
12.   friends around the table
13.   a church on its face in prayer before the Healer
14.   music that sets a soul right
15.   husband's amazing discipline and progress toward health
16.   that I sit at the King's table, loved though lame (like Mephibosheth)
17.   Mitchell's tears when Grandma and Grandpa left
18.   cream scones with homemade raspberry jam
19.   a friend scooting up to me right as church started and handing me my favorite Tazo tea concentrate that my Target no longer carries
20.   raindrops pattering on the metal roof during our prayer gathering reminding me of this song:

Spirit rain, flood into our thirsty hearts again. He'll come......

He'll show up in my everyday mundane as I thank Him for common graces. And He'll come in extraordinary ways as I yield to Him, and with hands raised in praise, jump ~ into his arms.

Blessed be His name.

    holy experience

3 comments:

Holly Neaton said...

Lovely list! God bless - Holly

MommyTopics.com said...

What a beautiful list of gratitude, and a beautiful family. Welcome to the community!!

Blessings
Rachymommy - MommyTopics.com

Jen @ Grow with graces said...

This is such a great idea. I am going to go check it out.

And just so you know, those of us with kids in public school have those moments too. I think that comes with parenting, not just homeschooling. If that helps at all. :)