Monday, November 8, 2010

Perfect Gifts

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of  the heavenly lights. He does not change like shifting shadows.  James 1:17

Robb left on Thursday for a coveted weekend of deer hunting for the first time in his 40 years.

Warning: This post may or may not include a picture of a dead animal....

He acquired his hunting license and texted me, all excited with hint of beard already poking on his newly slimmer face,

"I'm a man now!"

And I feared. A little. For his safety.

 Flying. in a teeny. tiny. plane.

Lord, I thought and prayed. We've come this far. We are in the place of rest and waiting, peace and joy. You would not take that away, would you?  Would you allow more pain? Hasn't there been enough? And in my cautious, self-protective heart, I waited for the next foot to fall. My imagination dabbled in grim scenarios.

Oh, me of little faith. 

My idle thoughts were interrupted by a Whisper.

  Matt. 7:9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

And, of course, Robb came home last night just fine.

With a story to tell.

Oh, what a story to tell. Of a God who cares about the heart of a first-time hunter. Of a buck that got away.  Of a hunter who got a second chance. Of a man who has hope that God speaks and gives good gifts.



Join me in counting God's good gifts?

47. A 10 point buck. God's gift to Robb.
48. a hunting opener like never before on that property. 3 bucks.
49. hope
50. the quiet voice of God
51. that He knows my name
52. bread, when we fear a stone
53. Scripture, remembered, at just the right moment
54. friends who teach new things
55. chick flicks and popcorn
56. grace for absences
57. my twin sister, also a hunting widow, to keep me company
58. holding my niece through church
59. invitation for next year
60. him coming home
61. a mounted head to go in the new "man cave"
62. a freezer full

Sponsors/ Affiliates: Shop the DaySpring Online Store

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails