Thursday, February 24, 2011

Two Telephone Pole Kind of Day


It was a cloudy, foggy Thursday, the kind in which I measure visibility by telephone poles. While driving to appointments, I could only see two at a time.  The air was damp, and though the temperature was the warmest it's been since the middle of November, the moisture could be felt deep to the bone.

I had woken up with my own fog. It seemed the world and I both had a head-cold.

We soldiered on, through damp and mess and gunk of melting winter, my head full of gunk too. We drove slow on the sloppy thawing driveway that's been hidden since November 13.

And I think about fog.

Sometimes the path of life is shrouded by fogs in which we must slow and learn to listen.

God made his presence visible in the form of a cloud for a time, and I wonder about that. About days and seasons when our path is not certain, yet His presence envelopes and all there is to see is Him. Faith is being certain of what we do not see, certain that He has a plan. Those are the two telephone pole kinds of days.


In fog, we find our way because we know the road, the landmarks well.

In life we can do the same.

The fog is there, obscuring distractions, however good and beautiful they are, letting us only see what is immediately in front, His presence a canopy. He wants us to see only Him in the cloud.

He says, "I am the way."

In him all our landmarks are found and known, and when we know Him, acknowledge Him, he guides our path. Sometimes only one or two telephone poles at a time.


On our way home, the Dayquil finally kicked in and my head cleared. The sun came out and the fields seemed to steam as the fog burned away.



I took in the sight, I saw where I'd been, and His light revealed a beautiful journey.

You have made known to me the path of life, you will fill me with joy in your presence. Psalm 16:11

Linking with Bigger Picture Blogs today. It's been a while... Hi ladies! *waves*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails